Saturday, July 29, 2006

 
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
5/10
Well, this film wasn't that great for me, which is likely to mean that it's too arty for my little brain, or that's it's actually just not that great, or maybe it's a bit of both. Interspersed and somewhat (to me anyway) unrelated crossing sections of the film are done between the Rolling Stones recording Sympathy for the Devil, some Black Panthers hangin' out in a car junk yard reading out loud, playing with guns and feeling up white women, and a woman graffitiing slogans around London. Oh, and the occasional other scenario in a bookshop or an interview of a woman in a forest where every answer is 'yes' or 'no'. I would have dozed except for the fact it was my first film of the day and I'd just had a coffee. So, anyway, for me, not my bag. I reckon if they just showed all the Rolling Stones excerpts and made it about 30 mins long it would've been great. Some of the scenes with the stones were pretty magic.

A SCANNER DARKLY
8/10
This story was written by Philip K Dick who also wrote the short story that Blade Runner (one of my fave films) was based on. It was directed by Richard Linklater who's directed some of my favourite films (Dazed & Confused, Before Sunrise). So, what could go wrong? Luckily, nothing much. I had a good time watching this film - it was a little confusing at points but ultimately I understood enough by the end to feel that it paid off - certainly one I'll want to see again. A special mention should also be made of the incredible job done animating the entire film. It's a visual style slighly reminiscent of some of Waking Life, but nothing I've seen before is quite like this. So, a mixing the story and the great visuals, a must see. How's that - three films in three days all getting my two thumbs up - let's hope this level is maintained throughout the festival!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?