Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
DETOUR DE FRANCE
6.5/10
A little disappointing for me. The writeup was promising and the fact both sessions (including today's at 3pm on a weekday) sold out made me expect more. It was a somehwat entertaining look at the 2005 Tour De France, as viewed by 2.5 australian journalists (the .5 for the guy who was there for the fun of it rather than as a professional journalist). I didn't like that I walked out without having a better understanding of how the Tour actually works. And even more, the bogan/ocka/lout behaviour of the drunkard 'journo' left me cringing at what the international community must think Australians are like...

EVERY OTHER WEEK
7/10
Somewhat entertaining film about the twists and turns of the relationships between a bunch of people in various stages of divorce. It wasn't bad, and some of the several 'interruptions' for a mock commercial were great. Others we less so and interrupted the story. Towards the end, the film lost steam and direction and turned into a bit of a mess in my opinion.

JONESTOWN: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PEOPLES TEMPLE
7.5/10
Pretty good documentary about what happened leading up to the Jonestown Massacre. While I had certainly heard of it, I realised that I wasn't aware of several of the facts and events surrounding the massacre/mass suicide of nearly 1,000 people. Very interesting to see the interviews with survivors, and there was a reasonable amount of original footage that helped give a visual/audio key to the events. But, certainly not a feel-good film...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?